Catching Up

Because yesterday was almost like having a holiday with our walk in the sun at Westgate and then a gentle afternoon, it meant that today I've been trying to catch up on chores - and if I'm honest, failing.


I eat breakfast very early on Tuesdays - around 7.30am and I’d bought a new nut, seed and Q10 mix yesterday which you can add to porridge or yoghurt and smoothies.  I tried it stirred into my usual oatbran as I'm trying to give up the cream - apart from special treats.  I can't say I enjoyed it without the cream but I will try and persevere.  My heart wants butter, toast, croissants, fry-ups but my head is telling me I really need to try and make healthier choices for breakfast.



On Tuesday mornings I do a type of Pilates class on zoom taken by my friend Emma, hence an early breakfast.  I like at least an hour after eating before doing Pilates.  I met Emma when I used to work at the local leisure centre as she is a gym instructor/personal trainer there.  Due to the pandemic she branched out into zoom classes which I started doing last June.  They really are excellent and have kept me in a routine.  I try to do 2 weights classes and 3 Pilates per week.  I am not a person who particularly wants to exercise but I'm always pleased after I've done it.  It's certainly helping me to get stronger. 


It's taken me a couple of years to understand that my body shape is changing - really since I hit 50.  I've always been quite slim and generally at 5ft8 (ok maybe 5 ft7 1/2 now I'm getting older), I maintained a size 10 or 12 over my adult life.  I was very thin at one point in my late 20s but that was the result of an unhealthy lifestyle living in London.  Although I'm still the same dress size my weight distribution is changing resulting in a thicker middle, fatter arms and legs.  I've read a lot about how your body tries to cling onto oestrogen stored in fat cells as you reach middle age and I understand more why I've been changing this way.  Ultimately I'm trying to get into the mindset that I need to be strong, healthy and  flexible - and focus on those things rather than chasing the shape I used to be.  It's hard though.  I'm very critical.




After class I tackled the ironing pile - well maybe half of it and I don't really mind it if I can listen to a podcast and learn something as I iron.  Trixie has started sleeping on what was the kitchen sofa which is now upstairs in a sunny spot. She's a cat who likes to sleep curled up in a tiny ball most of the time.



As Chris works from home usually three days in the week, I made him lunch as he is often stuck in zoom or teams meetings for hours on end. We are a team and we help each other in life.  If he is working full time I try to make the other stuff go smoothly and he would do the same for me if our roles were reversed.


I spent an hour making some crochet granny centres for a new project I decided to start.  Once I'd heard yesterday that the Beautiful Days Festival was hopefully going ahead this summer, my mind went to sunny days, festival vibes, tents, music and good company.  I decided I had to start on making a crochet top or wrap STRAIGHT AWAY, using some sock yarn scraps.  Much as I'm really loving my sock knitting journey, it's always a joy to come back to simple colourful grannies that don't require any concentration.  Festival clothes are different from normal clothes aren't they.  At a festival you can let your inner hippy come out to play and just go a bit crazy with colour and beads e.t.c for a few days.  I think this garment will take a very long time and I'm almost certain that I will need to invest in a few more sock minis to create more of the palette that I want. He he!! Definitely need more pinks and greens in there. I'd like some brights too as it's been a while since I've used much colour.  Most of my sock yarns are quite earthy and sombre.  They will have their place in something but not in this.







Later this afternoon I popped to Morrisons to try and locate gnocchi and had success. Hurrah!  I try to walk one way or both along the seafront if it’s a sunny day as it's so uplifting to see the sea.  I even love the view at the end of the road as you turn the corner from the house.  Maybe it's that tree which makes me imagine I could be living abroad?  My olive tree does that too when I see it framed by a blue sky.  I remember visiting my dad in Spain and sitting by his olive tree and orange trees in his garden.  My dad chose to live in warmer climes in his later years and I wouldn't be surprised if I did too.  I do hate being cold. Can you spot those shiny black olives? Makes me so happy.




I made gnocchi Bolognese for tea tonight which turned out very well.  I am definitely of the cookery school, “Lob it in and hope for the best”! Generally, after cooking for Chris and I, or for the family for over 20 years I can mostly wing it with things and create something edible and tasty 99% of the time.


So that's me finished for the day after that so I'll leave it here and continue the waffling tomorrow.






Comments

  1. Popping over from Attic 24, lovely to find you here, I shall enjoy following along. Also north of 50 here and trying not to have all the cream :) The olive tree is very impressive. I have one in a pot that is really rather straggly and doesn't grow much, no matter what I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks so much for reading my blog. We planted our olive tree directly into the earth in a very sunny, sheltered spot about 6 years ago. I think we fed it tomato food initially! I think warmth and sun is the key. x

      Delete
  2. Cheers from Canada ... enjoyed this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Many thanks for reading my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it. x

      Delete
  3. I thought I was the only person left who irons! I love to indulge in a movie or documentary while I'm ironing. It makes it almost fun and not like work. Almost... Hey from the sunny and warm coast of Georgia in the US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there fellow ironer! There aren't many of us out there. I don't mind it for the same reason. It's almost not a chore and I feel like I'm in control when I see a neat pile of clothes and bedding afterwards. Sunny and warm sounds heavenly. It's almost warm here. xx

      Delete
  4. Hello. Found you after reading blog at Attic 24. Will enjoy following along. Love from Nottinghamshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian. Thanks very much for reading. Lucy was very kind to mention it in her blog. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. x

      Delete
  5. Reading your blog after being recommended by Lucy attic 21. I have really enjoyed reading it from Enniskillen Northern Ireland.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks so much for reading. I'm very pleased you enjoyed it and really appreciate your comment. x

      Delete
  6. Lovely, lovely blog, I can hear your true voice when I read your words. You're in a mini-phase with your crafting, what with your mini hexie patches and your mini grannies. I can't wait to see the granny project grow, it's going to be magical xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lucy. I think I may be babbling on tonight's one. Ha! xx

      Delete
  7. Hi...like the others..I am here courtesy of Lucy @ Attic24
    Enjoyed your blog...and will continue following you along...
    From Nora in N Ireland 🌷xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nora, thanks very much. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'm still finding my feet with it all and really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. x

      Delete
  8. Just read your blog after seeing your name on Attic 24. Also follow Winwick Mum. Will enjoy following your stories too. From Gill, Nottingha shire Derbyshire border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gill. Thanks so much for reading my blog. It's lovely for me to read the comments on here. It's made me feel like its worth continuing on with fairly regular posting. xx

      Delete
  9. Very jealous of your olive tree it's gorgeous, andits too cold for them here! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts