And Exhale!

 


So this is the final day of #blarch and I can feel myself exhaling.  Phew!! It's been pretty challenging - more than I expected.

I have a tendency to be a “mañana por la mañana” type of person, even more so since the pandemic began.  I think that without any deadlines I can very easily put things off and off and off - because there is always the next day and of course we are not doing anything or going anywhere at the moment.  During my embroidery degree, I was the one with my ProPlus pills, writing my essays or stitching final pieces through the night in a mad panic the night before it was due in.  Why do those stitch techniques when there’s a party to go to?! And I wonder why I got a 2:2!!  I thought that at 52 I might have changed but I think not.  The only difference is that I have got used to having far fewer obligations and deadlines.

I think #blarch has been a good exercise to make myself write in this blog every day, but 11 days is enough.  Hats off to people who can rise to the challenge of Blogtober; that is quite a feat.  This has forced me to think about my day to day in terms of content for writing on here and it has hopefully kickstarted a more regular commitment to my blog in the future. The writing is not so much the issue but the construction and thought behind the words is hard for me.  Because my creative work is generally very slow, it takes me quite some time to produce anything and to write every day takes time away from making.  Although….on the other hand, it has given me a kick up the bum to finish some things off too. Hmmmmm. The jury might have to stay out on this.



Speaking of finishing things, I did finish my first Vanilla Latte sock this morning. Whoop!!  I am really pleased I managed to do a simple pattern (although I think I just really quite like plain socks….shhhhh).  Sometimes the yarn can speak for itself and that is enough.  I will however continue experimenting with patterns though as the one thing I wanted to do this year was to up my knitting game.  Eventually I'd love to try some stranded colourwork but I’m not ready yet.

I've got to the point where I am no longer filled with fear at the kitchener stitch. I just chant it out.


I met Caroline and Sarah for a walk again this morning.  The weather was very warm and hazy - almost humid.  By the time we walked back I'd stripped off to just my vest top.  Sarah and Caroline are waving here!  It's lovely to walk and chat and catch up on our news each week.



After lunch I called round to see my friend Gillian who moved to Herne Bay in January.  She lives less than 10 minutes walk away, right in the heart of Herne Bay.  Our town underwent a big expansion in Victorian times due to its reputation for it's fresh sea air, so much of the town has rows of Victorian terraces or grand Victorian villas.  It was what I would call balmy, sitting on Gillian’s roof terrace mid afternoon.  It's the first time I've been able to go round and sit outside with her as rules only relaxed on Monday. How good to see a person in real life, to sit at a table with a drink. Simple things that we've all missed.


When I arrived home our garden (and in particular the euphorbia) was looking splendid and spring like. It's hard to believe the weather is set to change back to cold from tomorrow. Boo!

I attempted a creme fraiche fish pie with thinly sliced potatoes for tea but I have to say the description on here sounds much better than the curdled reality.  It tasted ok, but the cottage cheese consistency of the middle was not appealing - hence no photo.  I'd only cooked it to use things up from our big freezer.  No doubt I'll be eating congealed, curdled leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  Luckily for you readers, I won't be blogging about it so you will be spared any gruesome descriptions.

The teens break up tomorrow so I have one day of the house to myself and then it's the Easter holidays.  I intend to take a couple/few days off from the internet to read a book and try and crack on with a shirt I promised to make for my brother 2 years ago. Just apallingly slack at getting stuff done.  Like I said,
mañana por la mañana…..

On that note I would like to thank you for reading and for the lovely comments. I hope from time to time you will pop by and read some future posts.  They will be “as and when” but hopefully a couple of times per month.

Wishing you all a very Happy Easter. 



Comments

  1. Well done, an excellent finale for #blarch. Sorry to hear fish pie not so successful. I was tempted to give it a whirl myself but won’t bother now! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ha ha. No I definitely would avoid making a creme fraiche fish pie. I'm glad you've been reading along and thanks for taking the time to comment too. Xx

      Delete
  2. Ahh Kate, you sound so relieved to be free of Blarch!!! haha!! I have thoroughly enjoyed your daily blogs - seeing your gentle comings and goings and hearing your narrative has been wonderful. Yes, it is a big commitment to blog with integrity and passion for any length of time, but in my experience, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Also the more of yourself that you give in this space, the more comes back to you in return. Looking forward to seeing where April takes you, please don't shrink back into hiding??!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. Funnily, although I did breathe a big sigh at the end, I know I'll write another post soon. Hopefully it will be about a successful shirt sewing project - not a disastrous one, but as I've only just cut it out I'll have to see how it goes. You're right in that it has got easier. Thanks for all your support.♡♡

      Delete
  3. Thanks for letting me peek into your world. Xx Cathy in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I appreciate you taking the time to read it. I will continue posting - but just not every day! Xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts