Marshlands



I do a weights PT class a couple of times a week and sometimes I feel strong, supple and energised and other times I feel like my limbs are made of lead and that I'm wading through porridge.  Today was a porridge day and really, if anything I’ve felt worse as the day’s gone on.  I’ve been so slow with aching joints and a heaviness everywhere.  Some days are like this for me but they've been less frequent lately, which is good.  I'll just blame hormones as I usually do that for everything!


Chris is at home and off work on Mondays so we usually try and do a walk as well as getting jobs and a food shop done.  He suggested going to St. Nicholas-at-Wade as we hadn't been there since we'd gone collecting blackberries and sloes last autumn.  Just as we were about to set off, my friend Sarah popped by and dropped off a gift.  She’s just started learning pyrography and she’s got a real gift for it.  She's been practicing on portraits using photos of friends and then gifting them and she’s now at the stage where she is accepting commissions. At £15 plus postage, I think they are incredible and such a great idea for a personalised gift.  She’s on IG too @beach_treasure_ if any of you want to take a look.  I'm so pleased with mine and the kids think it’s really cool.  It has a coating of lacquer and she spends a lot of time on them.  This isn't meant to sound like an Ad but it's nice to spread the word about fellow makers and artists I think.



Anyhoo, off we went to St. Nicholas-at-Wade which is about 5 minutes in the car from Herne Bay.  It was a glorious spring day with blue skies, a light breeze and a very lovely 18 degrees.





The walk starts off next to a cluster of old houses, dating from I would say the 18th century and there is a field where we see a sheep and a horse grazing together.  The trees are tall here in this little hollow and the birds were singing loudly.  I can recognise a few birds as I've been practising with the RSPB app. I could hear wrens, robins, chaffinches and chif chafs and also heard and saw bluetits. I think birdsong is my favourite sound in the world, closely followed by waves and rainstorms.




As the path meanders away from the old farm buildings it leads gradually out into marshes and reed beds.  We were lucky enough to see what we think were two sparrow hawks swooping low to the fields and then they looked like they were being chased by a larger bird which we thought might be a marsh harrier.  Usually it's very hard to get a good glimpse into these streams and ditches (or dykes) in the summer but today they were more exposed as the new reed growth has not obscured them yet.  As we approached there were flashes of brown and green and large frogs plopped into the water.  We must have disturbed their sunbathing.



After crossing the marshes and the railway line, the path becomes more chalky as it approaches the sea wall.  When you get to the beach you can see Reculver towers in the distance in one direction and Minnis Bay in the other.  It's a lovely walk for its variety and it ticks a lot of boxes for us in terms of what we like.  Chris is a very easy walking companion.  He’s peaceful and we walk together, often in contented silence, both enjoying being outside together, spotting the wildlife and breathing in the fresh air. He is 'Mr Chilled' with this legs out. It's never too early for him to start working on his tan!




This afternoon I wanted to make a start on stitching a cushion for this doll’s chair that I have painted in Farrow and Ball's, ‘Pelt’.  I’d done a final coat of paint his morning and as I was tired today, I could sit in the sun and quietly stitch away.  I haven't got it finished yet as I want to fill in all the background with a deep purple and I had to stop to do some chores and get organised for making dinner.  I'm really enjoying it though.  I made up the simple design with an idea that I'd like it to feel ‘Arts and Craftsy’ or Bloomsbury Group era in its appearance.





This evening we video called my mum in law as it's her birthday today and had a good catch up. We are hoping to see them 'in real life' once we are allowed to travel up to Yorkshire next month.  

It's been a good day today and it has felt full and productive - but tiring too. I'm going to finish up and have an early night. Tonight's effort is a bit rushed I'm afraid but as always, thanks for reading. xx



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts